Today we’ll be reviewing the Nikon COOPLIX S33.
It’s not easy to choose an all-around good digital camera for both yourself and your children. When selecting a camera for our children we must take into account that it must be easy to use, that it is not expensive and that it is really resistant to absolutely everything! We all know how kids are. Plus, you should be able to use it yourself with ease and to have quality photos later on.
The Nikon COOLPIX S33 meets all those requirements: it is cheap, easy to use, resistant to shocks, water, falls, and it is designed to be a simple family camera by Nikon. Everything is automatic and has a few really interesting scene modes, such as one to take better photos underwater.
The Nikon COOLPIX S33 does not have WIFI or GPS like other more expensive waterproof models, but it does resist being submerged at 10 meters, drops of up to 1.5 meters, and temperatures of -10ºC. It is a simple and cheap camera perfect for a young child.
This Nikon COOLPIX S33 review will go through both basic information and characteristics for amateur photographers who just want to have a simple family camera, and more detailed information about full camera specifications for those more knowledgeable photographers, in that order.
Keep on reading, and see why the Nikon S33 is a fantastic family camera.
Design and Function
This camera cannot be simpler, but the truth is that it is very well designed so that as soon as you pick it up it is really intuitive to know how to do things correctly. It is full of elegant curves and large buttons to make it easy for children to use. The camera is available in the colors blue, yellow, pink, or white. The flash is located above the lens and has a maximum range of 3.1 meters at ISO 1600.
The camera is being held perfectly. At the top, we find a button on the right to shoot photos, another on the left to start video recording, and the on/off button. It cannot be any simpler than that, really.
Nikon COOLPIX S33: A Mini Operating Manual
At the back, a dial with four buttons can be found, two of which are used to move the zoom. On the left side, we find 4 buttons in a vertical line that will serve to select the scene modes and access the camera settings.
The camera’s battery holds up to 220 shots, which is fine for its size. It is charged using a standard USB cable. It also has a 2.7″ screen, somewhat small but sufficient, with a resolution of 230k dots and capable of providing an acceptable, although not spectacular, image.
As for the lens, it has a 3x optical zoom and 13.2MP resolution on its CMOS sensor, with an equivalent range of 30-90mm and a maximum aperture of f3.3-5.9. It does not have an image stabilizer.
As for the modes and effects, there are not many, but they are quite useful:
- Very close,
- Add bubble effect,
- Add neon effect,
- Add drawing effect,
- Take smooth photos,
- Create a model effect.
- Video miniature effect.
Having a sensor with only 1/3.1 inches in size, we should expect images with a relative quality but sufficient for what it has been manufactured: a camera for children that has to be fun and easy to use. Surprisingly, it doesn’t take bad photos in the right conditions, although you have to understand that some noise appears even at low ISOs.
Swim with it to a depth of 10 m or use the Underwater Face Framing function to detect faces without going into the water. Capture family movies in Full HD at the touch of a button and get closer to the action thanks to the 3x optical zoom lens, expandable to 6x Dynamic Fine Zoom. Menus for adults and children make this camera easy for everyone to operate; Plus, photography becomes fun thanks to Scene Modes and a variety of body colors.
13 MP CMOS sensor
Thanks to the sensor, which makes the most of its megapixels, it guarantees the capture of sharp photos with defined details; making this camera ideal for making enlargements and framing or converting them into a poster.
Menus for adults and children
By default, the Full Menu appears in the form of a simple children’s menu that can be easily changed to an adult menu. You don’t need a special camera for kids – this is for the whole family.
NIKKOR lens with 3x optical zoom
Zoom in closer to capture a smile or funny facial expression with the 3x optical zoom wide-angle lens, expandable to 6x Dynamic Fine Zoom, or capture the action from a distance.
Full HD movies
Capture the fun wherever you go with smooth Full HD (1080/30p) video recording and stereo sound, although only a maximum of 29 minutes. Start filming instantly thanks to the dedicated video record button.
Face framing underwater
Capture underwater portraits without going into the water. Face framing technology detects faces and releases the shutter automatically, so you can take portraits without getting wet.
Built-in Target Finding AF
When shooting in Auto mode, Target Finding AF will automatically activate so it can locate your subject for you quickly and accurately, ensuring you get sharp shots every time.
The 6.7 cm (2.7-inch) 230,000-dot LCD screen
It’s not easy to frame the ideal shot on an LCD screen of this size professionally, but then again this is not a professional camera, isn’t it? The screen also lets you read menus or show your videos and photos to friends and family in playback mode.
Motion Blur Reduction
Your photos will always look sharp thanks to Motion Blur Reduction, which compensates for subject movement and camera shake, giving you the stability you need to capture great images.
Easy to Operate
Even both your kids and yourself as amateur photographers can get fantastic results, for the camera’s shape is designed to fit perfectly and comfortably in the hands of all sizes, plus an erase lock ensures photos are never deleted accidentally.
Video Miniature Effect
Have fun turning street or vacation scenes into pictures that look like toys or miniature models, as the camera can automatically combine up to 300 photos taken at 2-second intervals to create a 10-second video.
Micro USB charging
The high-speed Micro USB charging will always keep your Nikon S33 camera fully charged and ready to shoot. You can play your photos and videos, or even keep shooting while charging.
Choose from 16 scene modes to suit the type of action or location you are shooting and the camera will suggest the appropriate settings, so you forget about the most difficult and get the best shot.
Nikon Image Space
As a Nikon user, you can enjoy 20GB of free online cloud storage with our dedicated Nikon image storage and sharing site, Nikon Image Space.
Now, for those of much higher knowledge, here is full-on information about the Nikon S33 camera.
- Type: Compact digital camera
- Effective pixels: 13.2 million (image processing may reduce the number of effective pixels).
- Image sensor: 1/3.1-inch type CMOS; total pixels: approx. 14.17 million
- Lens/Lens: NIKKOR lens with 3x optical zoom
- Focal length: 4.1-12.3mm (angle of view equivalent to that of 30-90mm lens in 35mm  format)
- F-number: f/3.3-5.9
- Lens construction: 6 elements in 5 groups
- Magnification: Up to 4x (angle of view equivalent to that of approx. 360mm lens in 35mm  format)
- Reduction of vibration: electronic VR (videos)
- Reduction of motion blur: Electronic VR (still images)
- Autofocus: contrast-detection AF
- Focus range [Wide angle]: Approx. 5 cm to infinity, [Telephoto]: approx. from 50 cm to infinity. Very close, Food, Underwater, Mirror, Add bubble effect, -Add neon effect, Add drawing effect, Take smooth photos, Create model effect, -Video miniature effect, Highlight colors: approx. from 5 cm (at the wide-angle position) to infinity. (All distances are measured from the center of the front surface of the protective glass)
- AF area mode: Center, Face Detection, Target finding AF
- Monitor: TFT LCD with a diagonal of 6.7 cm (2.7 inches) and approx. 230,000 dots, with anti-reflective coating and 5 levels of brightness adjustment
- Frame coverage: Approx. 96% horizontal and vertical (compared to the real image)
- Frame coverage (playback mode): Approx. 100% horizontal and vertical (compared to the real image)
- Storage – Media: SD/SDHC/SDXC, internal memory (approx. 25 MB)
- File system: DCF and Exif 2.3 compliant
- Storage – File format
- Still images: JPEG, Voice messages: WAV, Videos: MOV (Video: AVC H.264 / MPEG-4, Audio: PCM stereo)
- Image size (pixels): 13 megapixels [4160 x 3120], 4 megapixels [2272 x 1704], 2 megapixels [1600 x 1200]
- ISO sensitivity: ISO 125-1600
- Exposure metering: Matrix, Center-weighted (digital zoom less than 2x), Spot (digital zoom 2x or more)
- Exposure Control: Programmed Auto Exposure and Exposure Compensation (-2 EV to +2 EV in 1 EV steps)
- Shutter type: CMOS and mechanical electronic shutter
- Shutter speed: 1/2000 to 1 s; 4 sec (Choose a style is set to Firework)
- Timer: 10 s, Smile timer
- Diaphragm: Electronically controlled ND filter selection (-2 AV)
- Aperture range: 2 stops (f/3.3 and f/6.6 [Wide angle])
- Built-in flash: Yes
- Flash range (approx.) [Wide]: 0.3-3.1m, [Tele]: 0.6-1.7m
- Flash control: TTL auto flash with control pre-flashes
- Tripod socket: 1/4 (ISO 1222)
- Micro USB connector, high-speed USB. A USB cable other than UC-E21 should not be used for the Micro USB connector. Supports Direct Print (PictBridge)
- HDMI output HDMI micro connector (Type D)
- Water-resistant Ability to shoot underwater images at a depth of up to 10 m and for 60 minutes, equivalent to the standard of -Protection JIS/IEC Class 8 (IPX8) (based on our test conditions)
- Dust resistant Equivalent to JIS/IEC Class 6 (IP6X) Protection standard (according to our test conditions)
- Shock Resistant1 Has passed our test conditions in accordance with MIL-STD 810F, Method 516.5: Shock
- One Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL19 (included), AC Adapter EH-62G (available separately)
- Charging time: Approx. 1 h 40 min (when using Charging AC Adapter EH-71P and when no charge is exhausted)
- Battery life2: Approx. 220 shots when using EN-EL19
- Actual battery life for video recording3: Approx. 1 h 25 min when using EN-EL19
Weight and Conditions
- Dimensions (W x H x D): Approx. 109.5 x 67 x 37.6 mm (excluding protrusions)
- Weight: Approx. 180 g (including battery and memory card)
- Operating environment – Temperature: -10 ° C to +40 ° C (for use on dry land); 0 ° C to 40 ° C (for underwater use)
- Operating environment – Humidity: 85% or less (non-condensing)
- Sleek and simple design,
- Easy to use buttons and menus,
- Submersible to 10 meters and resistant to falls,
- Perfect for kids to fool around,
- Great family camera.
- No WIFI or GPS,
- Without optical image stabilizer.
Free Quiz: Find Your Ideal Gear Setup in 1 Minute or Less 📷
A Final Word From Run Gun Shoot
Based on our Nikon COOLPIX S33 review, you can see that this is clearly a family camera, especially suitable for use by the smallest of the house thanks to its resistance to water, dust, and falls. It doesn’t have any complicated features, it doesn’t have WIFI or GPS, but it does its job very well: it’s easy to use, it has cool modes, and it’s cheap.
In case you have a family and all of you travel a lot, spend time together, you want your kids to experience the ‘old school’ photo shooting without smartphones – then the Nikon S33 camera is highly recommendable. Bring this camera to your family holiday and take memorable pictures everywhere!
What do you think of the Nikon S33? Let us know in the comments!