Professional Joe Rogan Podcast Equipment Revealed in Detail
From the moment the internet had spread all over the globe, all the marketing and advertisement has moved there, consequently pulling billions of dollars with it. People are bombarded with ads everywhere as big companies will seek every possibility to promote their products and services.
Currently, the main medium to do such promotions is famous YouTubers and other social media celebrities. And for that, they are being paid in millions. Just look at Joe Rogan’s latest deal with Spotify worth 100 million dollars! Not to mention other sponsors and marketing bonuses.
Seeing how a plethora of people are getting into vlogging and podcasting businesses (and for a very good reason), here is a text that will give insight on how much a person should spend to have the top-notch equipment, and how to get started from point zero with just an iPhone, if no money for better gear is available. Let’s dive into the Joe Rogan podcast setup now!
Joe Rogan’s Equipment
Joe Rogan is one of the most influential and most popular podcasters of all time. Yes, a lot of controversies have followed his career, but the numbers don’t lie. His show, the Joe Rogan Experience Podcast has been listened to by millions, and his net worth is even higher. Naturally, Rogan has all the money at his disposal to pick the best equipment in order to get the best audio/video quality for his work. And if you have seen his podcast at least once, you will notice how perfect both the sound and video are. So if anyone wants to do any kind of studio recording – podcast, vlogging, reviews, video game experience – this is the gear you should strive for.
Microphone – Shure SM7B Cardioid Dynamic Mircophone
When having an indoor setting, perhaps the most important thing to pay attention to is the sound. Clear voice with no distortion and background noise really provides the best listening experience which attracts lots of followers.
The Shure SM7B is a popular radio and TV microphone with a smooth, flat, wide-range frequency response that matches music and speech in all professional audio applications. It features excellent protection against the electromagnetic beam generated by a computer monitor, neon lights, and other electrical devices. Compared to earlier models, the SM7B is supported by a carrier with an improved design that provides greater stability. Ranked No. 10 by sales at Thomann, works wonders with a good microphone arm.
Second Microphone – Blue Yeti USB
Not every microphone will suit every setting and situation, so having an alternative is recommended, but not essential in the beginning.
This one is chosen because you can create unrivaled recordings with your computer using the best-selling Blue Yeti family of USB microphones. Thanks to the triple capsule technology, Yeti microphones produce pristine, studio-quality recordings with legendary ease. And four different pattern settings offer incredible flexibility to record voices, music, podcasts, audio for video, interviews, or even cryptozoology lectures in ways that would normally require multiple microphones. Whether you’re recording at home, on the road, or in the Himalayas, this microphone helps you produce studio-quality recordings at all times.
Headphones – Sennheiser HD 280 PRO
Having headphones in the studio is incredibly important because that way the sound won’t mix with the microphone and create an echo. Listen with your ears, speak with your mouth. Use headphones for your ears, use a microphone for your mouth. Quite simple.
Rogan’s Sennheiser HD 280 PRO headphones are professional, closed, dynamic headphones intended for professional monitoring. They reduce external noise by up to 32dB, so they are extremely suitable for work in noisy environments. Extremely precise headphones with a flat frequency characteristic, which is why they are very grateful for monitoring in studios for recording musical instruments or in broadcasting audio technology. The Sennheiser HD 280 PRO headphones have a spiral cable that goes from the left earring, at the end of which is a gold-plated 3.5 mm connector, which can also be increased to 6.3 mm with a gold-plated adapter.
Headphone Amplifier – Behringer HA8000 V2
A precision headphone mixer/amplifier can make an incredible difference in the final product during recording. Rogan has picked the 8-channel Behringer HA8000 V2 for it combines superior performance + routing and mixing functions to satisfy even the most “picky ears”. Two independent stereo main inputs, an analog input with a charge direct input on each channel allows individual performers to obtain an additional customized monitoring mix. When the conditional mix needs to reach a larger number of listeners, the HA8000 V2 brings the sound with style and quality.
Mixer – Behringer Xenyx X1222USB
When working with microphones, speakers, headphones, and all the other studio equipment, the mixer is a must-have item.
Rogan chose the Behringer Xenyx X1222USB analog mixer with effects and a USB connection. The mixer has six balanced mono microphone jacks and a compressor on each microphone channel, a three-band equalizer. Great for studio and fieldwork.
Technical product specifications:
- Analog mixer with large headroom,
- 6 analog mono microphone channels,
- Compressor per each XLR channel with LED,
- Three-band equalizer per XLR channel,
- USB / Audio direct connection to computer,
- Optional CD with over 150 plug-ins, instruments, and effects with ultra-low latency,
- Revolutionary Behringer energy XT2.5 editing and production software for every computer platform,
- 2 aux send controllers per channel – 1 pre fader for monitoring, and 1 post fader for external FX device,
- Mute and Clip button per channel,
- Two subgroups with separate balanced outputs,
- Two multifunctional Stereo Aux returns suitable for routing,
- Balanced outputs with gold-plated XLR connectors,
- Control Room independent XLR output,
- Possibility of mounting in a rack cabinet for mixers.
Audio Interface – Apollo X8 Thunderbolt
Audio interface equipment is for having a professional touch to your work. It’s not essential, you can do quite well without it. With this, you will take your work one step further.
For example, Rogan’s Apollo X8 allows musicians and producers to easily create songs, over-dub, and mix with first-class A/D and D/A conversion, HEXA Core UAD plug-in processing, Dual-Crystal clocking, and 7.1 monitoring of surround sound — all in the Thunderbolt desktop 3 audio interface for Mac or Windows.
Built on 60 years of Universal Audio audio experience, the Apollo Twin X confidently outperforms everything in its class with 127 dB D/A dynamic range, along with the included UAD analog emulation plug-ins and LUNA Recording System, which provides you with a fully equipped analog studio on your desktop.
- Shoot with premium A/D and D/A conversion – with the widest dynamic range and the lowest noise available.
- Mix with powerful HEXA Core processing, with 6 UAD DSP chips to run multiple UAD Plug-ins in real-time
- Record near-zero latency tracks using Unison emulation from the Neva, API, Manley, Helios, Fender, and more.
- Includes LUNA Recording System – a fully integrated and inspiring application for music production.
Portable Recorder – TASCAM DR-100 MKIII
Portable recorders are actually a state of the art items for any studio activity. They can be your primary recording machine, they can be a backup to your PC, they have 3.5mm jacks, and can be linked to various amplifiers and mixers. If you have one – great, if not – no biggie. Rogan will definitely have one, and that’s TASCAM DR-100 MKIII.
The Tascam DR-100 MKIII provides top-notch recordings for musicians and audio engineers who demand more than just the “ordinary” handheld recorder. With a signal-to-noise ratio that exceeds 100dB, this is the strongest model of Tascam stereo handheld recorders ever produced. It features four built-in microphones – two cardioid and two omnidirectional – for superior recording in any situation. A pair of XLR ports accept a microphone signal with +48V phantom power for professional condenser microphones or a balanced line signal. The MKIII version also brings S/PDIF digital input, connectors with a locking system, and much more.
Camera – Canon VIXIA HF G40
We have gone through the audio equipment, now it’s time for the other side of the rainbow, and that is – the video. Of course, the first and foremost thing you will ever need is a camera! The better the camera, the better the finished product. Simple.
There are lots of cameras on the market that you can use. Some use DSLR, some use mirrorless, some use camcorders… What you prefer is totally up to you, but go for the best picture quality and maybe transportability. For example, Rogan uses Canon’s VIXIA HF G40. Why?
Because it is compact and easy to use. Canon’s VIXIA HF G40 Camcorder offers the optical refinement and advanced dynamic performance that experienced videographers want in a lightweight, portable package.
Using a genuine Canon 20x high-definition optical zoom lens and a highly sensitive HD CMOS Pro image sensor, with improved low-light performance, the VIXIA HF G40 camcorder delivers sharp videos in True High Definition (Full HD) with detail in light and shadow areas in virtually any lighting environment. A DIGIC DV 4 image processor streamlines operation and enables powerful lens image stabilization for clear, stable images, even when shooting handheld.
For flexible use in various situations, the VIXIA HF G40 camcorder has a 3.5-inch capacitive touchscreen in addition to an electronic viewfinder that allows for different tilt angles. A set of manual controls are complemented by two modes: Wide Dynamic Range and High Light Priority, which help capture color and details as perceived by the human eye.
The creative options were expanded with an interval recording option that can capture fast movements up to 1200x the original speed. Ideal for a wide variety of uses, the VIXIA HF G40 is a stellar choice for users on the go who want professional quality video.
The Other Side of the Spectrum
As you can see, Joe Rogan has quite a quality stuff around him, and it’s no wonder why his podcast is impeccable, at least in the technical sense. Bear in mind that this is not all, just the essential stuff for studio recording. Rogan still has additional microphone holders (or hands), an iMac with amazing pro audio and video editing software, lights, chairs, etc. When everything is put together, this whole bunch costs a few dozen thousands of dollars. You can go cheaper, and you can go more expensive.
In case you want to get in and try yourself in this profession, it is highly recommended not to go with the professional equipment from day one. Start easily and build your way up. When money comes, tools will come as well.
But in the beginning, just your iPhone is quite enough.
How to Vlog With iPhone
You can’t expect to have the same results with iPhone and professional gear, but in case you already have a good iPhone, you can start vlogging right away. It will be enough for the start, and with one of the latest iPhone devices the options are vast, plus it might be the closest you can get to some professional gear! How?
iPhone cameras are used as a benchmark for smartphone cameras. From early models to the latest iPhone 12, every camera was the best on the market, and every next model provided an even better one. Some YouTubers do use their latest iPhone as a vlogging camera regularly, as the iPhone video quality is magnificent.
The things we said about the video part cannot be said about the audio. Even though iPhone microphones are fantastic, and again, maybe the best on the smartphone market, it is still the most vulnerable aspect for vlogging. You will get a high-quality sound, but not the best.
Editing Software and Apps
To be a good vlogger, you must use all the tools available to make your content as rich as possible. For example, a simple camera app can provide more effects and picture quality in certain circumstances that a regular camera could not. Luckily, the iPhone boasts a plethora of fantastic video and audio editing software and apps that you can use. Choose several and use as many as you want.
Some of the most notable iPhone editing apps are:
- Action Movie
Here are some tips on how to get the best out of your iPhone for vlogging purposes and for free!
1) Record horizontally – as easy as it is to hold the phone in one hand vertically and record, it is not the best option here. The horizontal position will automatically use the Standard YouTube aspect ratio for videos and that’s one huge thing to pay attention to. So don’t be lazy, use both hands. In case you need them, find a tripod, gimbal, or any other gadget that will help you out.
2) Always use the rear (main) camera – iPhone does have great front cameras, but they can’t compare with the main (rear) one. Remember, you are competing with other vloggers and your content has to be of the highest quality, so make sure you have it.
3) Record in the highest resolution – speaking of the quality, videos should be recorded in the highest resolution possible. For newer iPhone models, that would be the ultra-HD 4K resolution. To get a smooth picture, choose 30 or 60 fps.
4) Adjust settings manually – Things like focus, exposure, warmth, sharpness, etc. should be selected manually based on the room you are recording. Once you place your iPhone on a specific spot, do this, and the results will be amazing. In case you are recording outdoors, the full-auto mode is preferred.
5) Mono microphone recording – As cool as the stereo sounds like, for your vlogging, you should choose the mono sound. That way the mic will focus on what’s in front of it (you or a person talking with you) and not on the background sound.
6) Airplane mode – be sure to turn on the airplane mode when recording. All the distractions should be left behind while working. What’s worse, a simple phone call can ruin the best recording of your life.
7) iCloud storage – when using this kind of iPhone setting as mentioned above, your files will be huge. Make sure to have lots of storage space available at all times for both new contents and for keeping the phone healthy and not overfilled.
8) Use camera effects – effects can be a difference between a mediocre and a great video. The iPhone has many camera effects available for use, especially newer models. Use them accordingly and your videos will look much more professional. Some of them are:
- Scene recognition
- Focus and exposure
In case you have some cash to spare and you want to improve your firepower with cool additions, you can always buy gadgets that will help you out create vlogging content. Some of these are not as expensive, but will definitely bring much better quality to your vlogs.
- Microphone – as stated, the mic is the “Achilles heel” of iPhone vlogging. Try and get an external recording mic.
- Gimbal – the phone stabilization will provide a stable picture, but a lot of effect possibilities as well. Great addition – used professionally all the time!
- Tripod – as the horizontal recording is required, the tripod will help you out immensely. Place your phone on it and do your work freely.
- Lenses – the camera is already fantastic, so there is no need to buy this immediately. But if you have money to spare and want to try something new, then by all means by extra lenses.
- Remote control – this one is self-explanatory. Remote controls are just awesome.
For professional vlogging, everything matters – the idea, the execution, the equipment, everything! Try to have the best of all, and the money and fans will soon follow.